Wednesday, April 25, 2012

A video test...

I don't often post videos, most every time in the past that I've tried I've somehow managed to do damage to the HTML somewhere in the blog. But let me try again with these two short videos.

Taxiing out of JFK for a Narita departure.

A friend recently sent me this video of a DAL 747-451 departing DTW for AMS, which is interesting because I just read on DELTANET that we're resuming 747 service to Amsterdam very shortly. I hope that I'll be able to hold a few of these as Narita is getting just a tad bit old. Anyway, click here to see this video.


Here's a little video that I made some time ago in LAX that will give you a ramp side perspective of a 747-400 walk around inspection. Hopefully these two efforts won't mess up the blog. The aircraft in this video, ship 6316 was just withdrawn from service and has gone into maintenance to receive her new lie-flat seats and GPS nav system. 

Rand


3 comments:

  1. Great videos, Rand. Question for you, though, on the 744 arrival at LAX: the first 35-40 seconds show the aircraft taxiing in to the jetway. I didn't see anybody marshalling it in - is this customary? Are the pilots really expected to position at the gate without help from the ground crew? Or was the marshaller just outside of camera range?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anon,
    No, we don't need no stinkin marshaller!! Just kidding, the marshaller plays a significant role of not only keeping us lined up and stopping on the designated point but maintaining visual contact with the wing walkers to insure that we're clear of obstructions and our wings aren't passing OVER objects such as baggage carts etc. The marshaler in this case is behind me and often elevated on a piece of equipment. If he's standing on the ground I'll loose sight of him quickly as I get closer to the gate and the angle becomes more acute. It's difficult to see over the nose of the 747. Marshalers understand that if they can't see my eyes... I can't see theres.

    In Europe and Asia we mostly rely on electronic marshaling and there are a variety of systems and visual effects. The first thing that you do as you start to line up electronically is check the readout on the screen to insure that it displays, in this case, "747." If it indicates something different such as A330 or B-767 we'll stop and point to the screen until someone realizes that a switch needs to be flipped to change the parameters. I've only seen this once though.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello Captain!

    Having been to Amsterdam last Friday for a bus tour and some runway spotting it would be very cool to see you take off there one day! I don't live particularly close to AMS but if you're scheduled to fly to AMS you could let me know! I love the Delta A330's and 767's that take-off throughout the day. I'm not a die-hard spotter but I'm sure that those who are, are very happy right now at AMS! They'll always love a 747 coming in for landing or taking off!

    Bas

    ReplyDelete