Thursday, July 29, 2010

The View From the Front Office, Overlooking the Planet Earth.

I'll have a new post up tonight, 5 August by 2200 Eastern

NEW ADDITION

BEFORE WE GET TO MY FAVORITE COCKPIT SHOTS, HERE'S A VIDEO THAT I KNOW YOU'LL ENJOY, AS IT PUTS YOU INTO A PILOTS SEAT AND DEFINES WHY MANY OF US LOVE TO FLY. I PARTICULARLY ENJOY HIS CHOICE OF MUSIC. FOR MORE FROM RYAN CLICK HERE.


I've been rather busy as we've just celebrated Sam and Blairs wedding at our home in NH. We had a wonderful time. I've been unable to post much lately, so here are a few of my favorite views from the cockpit. Insert your earbuds, select your favorite music, fly along and enjoy my seat. 

Those of you who follow my blog know my thoughts about pictures like these... I'm interested in yours. We'll identify these shots, top to bottom as 1 through 23. Leave a comment below describing your thoughts or emotions for a particular picture and I'll select several and place them under the appropriate picture. Have fun!

I leave Sunday on a three day Frankfurt trip and will edit the comments as I can.






                                       



                                      








                                       


                                         


                                        


                                       


                                       

                                        



6 comments:

  1. #20-Intense

    Rand,
    A quick question. When you do the Asian patterns, is that pretty much your whole month? Or, do you also get a shorter international/domestic trip as well? We have some 10-12 day patterns but we usually get another small trip as well, or a trip that carries into the next month. Just wondering.
    J.

    ReplyDelete
  2. J.
    We have a variety of Asian trips, but I bid the 12 or 13 day trips that are worth from 74 to 82 hours specifically because when complete, I'm done for the month and have only endured only one commute. Creative bidding sometimes yields fantastic results. For instance, if you bid to fly the first 12 days of January and the last 12 days of February, the result is 35 days off. Great if you have a huge home project going on, but I'd need to be retrained before coming back!! I don't often fly with young copilots with little kids on these trips for obvious reasons, but for those of us with adult children they're wonderful trips.

    Although this post has generated many hits, no one has submitted any picture comments to date. I guess that idea was a bust!

    Rand

    ReplyDelete
  3. Rand,
    The pictures (and videos) are awesome!
    Please keep them coming. Glad to hear the wedding went well. Congratulations, and thanks!
    Bob

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very nice cockpit shots. I especially liked the old ones - is that a DC-3?

    And wonder of wonders, I recognized the front of '909', the Collings B17. I tell everyone I meet ( at least once ) that I have 5 minutes of right-seat time in 4 engine airplanes - in that airplane. They're not doing that anymore, just rides. Pity.

    P.S. Nice shot of the rare triple-tailed ( "Connie" ) B-757 on the post heading.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hello Sarah,
    Yes, that's retired NEA/DAL captain Mike Farrey's DC-3, that's painted in a 1957 NEA paint scheme that he keeps in his backyard. I flew the Collings foundation B-17 too and had a great time. My only four engine experience! Sharp eye picking out that rare tripled tail 757!

    Thanks Bob,
    The wedding went off perfectly.

    Rand

    ReplyDelete
  6. The photos are great Rand... though I'm not sure about tilting the camera to create artificial banking...the horizon is still level with the window frames on a couple of shots. Great pictures are a combination of opportunity and skill and you have both! Oh, how wonderful that you have a picture window on the world as it passes by below (compared to the little porthole views blocked by a wing that we in back get!) And likewise wonderful that you appreciate it and take advantage of the opportunity. Thanks for sharing your view with us!

    ReplyDelete